Situated next to the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Nazaré, in Sítio district, in Nazaré, Chaby Pinheiro Theatre is an Italian style romantic theatre. The author of the project was the prestigious Ernesto Korrodi in 1908.
Korrodi implemented a stage system and audience similar to La Scala in Milan. The horseshoe plant had many advantages, as far as acoustics were concerned: the sound spreads with clarity, filling the room.
Frederico Ayres, a Lisbon-based artist, was hired to create and to paint the scenery. He was also in charge of the frescos of the theatre and the painting of one curtain.
As we enter this dazzling theatre we see a beautiful woman, dressed in Roman clothes, looking at the audience. In the proscenium, flanking the Portuguese coat of arms, we can contemplate frescos on comedy and Greek tragedy. The ceiling, in turn, has floral motifs.
Chaby Pinheiro Theatre officially opened its doors on February 5th 1926. The theatre was named after a popular actor, António Augusto de Chaby Pinheiro, who inaugurated the theatre.Along the years, Chaby Pinheiro Theatre played a crucial role in the development of amateur theatre in Nazaré. Many theatre plays of the Group of Amateur Theatre of Nazaré were rehearsed and presented in this outstanding place.